A huge segment of the human population is affected by anxiety-related disorders and though there are many prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs available, more and more people are turning to CBD for anxiety relief. We started with organic remedies, then turned to science, and now we are slowly migrating back to mother nature as a lot of people are tired of synthetic medications and are wanting a more natural and organic remedy. This switch back to a natural alternative has led to straight to CBD oil.
Even though cannabidiol has not been medically proven to be a cure or a treatment for anxiety, anxiety sufferers are still willing to give various CBD products a try in hopes that it will relieve their anxiety symptoms and today, cannabidiol oil is perhaps the most promising organic dietary supplement to do just that.
Over the recent years, cannabidiol has generated a lot of interest among scientists, clinicians, and consumers. That’s because not only are there many businesses selling CBD for anxiety relief, there is also evidence that suggests that CBD counteracts the adverse effects of THC. Numerous studies and accumulating potential proof from clinical and experimental studies, which show that CBD has strong anti-anxiety properties and when administered acutely, it seems to be well-tolerated, safe, and beneficial in improving the symptoms of several anxiety-related disorders.
Some of these include:
- Panic disorder
- Social phobia
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Mild and moderate depression
- Generalized anxiety disorder
Medical Studies On The Benefits Of CBD
In one animal study, researchers used mice to determine the effect of CBD on anxiety. They established that repeated CBD administration may help in the regeneration of neurons in the hippocampus and this might help with anxiety and depression. The researchers concluded that this is important because other studies have shown that neuronal plasticity that is impaired severely might influence a suicidal behavior- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23298518.
In a small double-blind study of individuals with generalized social anxiety, Brazilian researchers established that CBD has potential health benefits for anxiety. That’s because participants that consumed CBD reported that they had a significant reduction of their anxiety – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20829306.
Can You Use CBD For Anxiety and Depression?
CBD helps with anxiety and depression in two noticeable ways:
- Effect on 5-HT1A AgonistCBD works by exerting several actions on the brain. It has been proven effective in boosting signaling via a serotonin receptor 5-HT1A agonist. 5-HT1A is a serotonin receptor subtype that is important because depression and anxiety can be treated with drugs that target serotonin system. That why selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), works by blocking serotonin re-absorption in the brain. This, in turn, increases serotonin availability in the synaptic space. Consequently, there is an increase in the signals that are transmitted by the brain cells thereby boosting mood and reducing anxiety in some cases. CBD works like SSRIs. It boosts signaling via serotonin receptors. In fact, some studies have shown that CBD can enhance 5HT1A transmission and its effect on serotonin may be faster than those of SSRIs.
- Effect on HippocampusThe hippocampus is a brain area that plays a significant role in various brain functions. It is particularly popular for its role in cognition and memory formation. Scans of anxiety and depression patients reveal a smaller hippocampus. And, depression therapeutic aids show regeneration of neurons or neurogenesis in this area. That means these therapeutic aids may help with depression and anxiety. Both CBD and SSRIs have been proven effective in promoting neurogenesis. This is important because evidence shows that when severely impaired, neuronal plasticity can lead to suicidal behaviors.
Therefore, considering the potential role that CBD can play in the therapeutic aid of an anxiety-related disorder, it may eventually become a highly favorable, safer, and effective therapeutic aid for anxiety compared to the available conventional drugs.
Things To Consider Before Taking CBD
Since Cannabidiol is organic with zero harmful side effects, generally, we can assume that CBD is safer than synthetic, prescription medication for anxiety.* Nonetheless, it is IMPERATIVE that you should talk to a physician regarding its potential therapeutic aid for anxiety. Nevertheless, there is a huge collection of product reviews, articles, and over 50 pages of health benefits listed on this site. We offer this so you don’t have to assume which is right, but you can make an educated decision on the best CBD oil for anxiety product that is perfect for you.